Dentures have been considered a durable solution to replace several or a whole row of missing teeth for a long time. They are natural-looking restorations that comprise a gum-colored base and are mounted with prosthetic teeth. When dental implants support the denture, it provides stability and security for your new smile.
At University Oaks Dental, in Houston, Texas, we offer implant-supported dentures to replace missing teeth and reinstate your smile and a fully functional mouth.
What Are Implant-Supported Dentures?
Implant- supported dentures are a viable alternative for patients suffering from tooth loss but have sufficient jawbone structure to support the implants. They comprise unique fixtures that snap onto the attachments of the implants and are held securely in position by fixing them to the jawbone.
What Is the Process of Implant-Supported Dentures?
The entire process of implant-supported dentures usually requires two surgeries spread over a couple of months. During your preliminary examination, we will take X-rays and scans to create your treatment plan. In addition, we will also determine the availability of necessary jawbone structures that are required to fix the dental implants.
Implants will be inserted into your jawbone during the first surgery after making a small incision in the jawbone. The incision is closed with stitches, and this process is repeated for each implant. About four to six implants are required to support implant-supported dentures.
After the fusion of the implants, a second surgery is done to expose their surfaces, and regular abutments are placed. Next, we will take impressions to construct a denture framework and prosthetic teeth.
In the final step, metal bars are placed on the abutments, and the denture framework and prosthetic teeth are tried out. Once everything fits, your dentures are permanently secured in position with the help of ball attachments.
Benefits of Implant-Supported Dentures
- They give you the confidence to talk, laugh, and eat without any inhibitions.
- Do not have to worry about your teeth slipping or falling out while you eat or are engaged in conversation.
- They offer more stability and feel like natural teeth.
- There is also minor irritation of gum tissue, unlike the conventional dentures that cause pain and sores.
- They look more natural than traditional dentures because less plastic is needed for retention.
- They can also help your appearance by preventing jawbone shrinkage and bone loss.
- The need for denture adhesives is eliminated.
To learn more about implant-supported dentures, visit our office, University Oaks Dental, at 6363 San Felipe St #200b, Houston, TX 77057. You can also reach us at (713) 461 8012 and schedule an appointment.